Breastfeeding Central guides you through all stages of breastfeeding and is written by Beverley Rae, an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, Clinical Social Worker, and mother of five breastfed children (you go, girl!!). You can read through it like a book (click on a category and it'll bring you to a list of articles), saving any for easy reference later (the "saved" folder is one of 5 icons at the bottom of your screen). Or you can just look up specific topics when you find yourself faced with difficulties, such as a plugged duct or low milk supply.
Each article is short and to the point, which is about all an exhausted new mom can handle, let's face it! Forget fumbling through a 200-page book or turning to Google, which if you're like me, is likely to send you into a major hypochondriac fit! Breastfeeding Central is like having your own personal Lactation Consultant in your pocket!
OK, so let's see how it works. We'll say your milk has just come in and you're suffering from engorgement. Yes, that sounds familiar!! You click the main screen, then "Common Difficulties" and finally "Engorgement" which brings you to a helpful 2 paragraph article with a photo.
- Preparation for Breastfeeding (with 7 articles, from a shopping list of must-have products to creating a "nursing corner" and setting expectations).
- Getting Started In The Hospital (with 6 articles, from position and latch to preemies and twins).
- Early Days At Home (with 8 articles, from first night home to getting your partner involved to managing a toddler and a new baby - that one will be helpful to me in a year or two!!).
- Common Difficulties (with 7 articles, such as sore nipples and low milk supply).
- The First Six Months (with 8 articles, from growth spurts to medications/alcohol and breastfeeding in public).
- Returning To Work (with 5 articles, of course covering issues with pumping and storing milk).
Furthermore, the help tab at the bottom brings up a list of websites where you can find a local lactation consultant and mother-to-mother help and support groups! Woohooo!! In a nutshell, this app is extremely helpful and convenient. I wish I'd had such a resource in my early days of breastfeeding just 19 months ago!
Wanna get your hands on it? Breastfeeding Central is available for download on iPhone and iPad for $3.99, and you can follow Beverley Rae and Breastfeeding Central on Twitter (@BRaeIBCLC) and Facebook!
Sponsored Post Disclosure: Opinions are my own and not swayed by compensation of any kind. This was a sponsored post, but I limit such posts to companies that meet my moral standards and I feel I can really stand behind (hey, I'm not a sell out, but time is money...).