What to consider when hiring a photographer:
- Prices - These vary greatly depending on expertise, equipment, and deliverables. Prices can seem high but you have to take into consideration the time required by the photographer not just to take the photos but all the work that goes into editing them, not to mention they have to cover any overhead - studio rent, photo props, equipment, advertising, etc!
- Deliverables - Are digitals included? Can you print yourself or only through them?
- Retouching - To what extent will they retouch your photos? Just lighting/coloring or little things like that flyaway hair and baby's booboo? I remember my son's cake smash session - we walked 45 minutes in the snow to the home studio in Dyker Heights, and I had the WORST crease on my forehead from my winter hat. But the photographer was more than happy to photo shop it out of our family photos, for no extra fee, now that's service!!)
- Location - Will it be in their studio, your home, at your event, or a location of your choosing (park, etc)? Do they have a travel fee?
- Specialty - It's not really advisable to ask someone who typically does magazine editorial photos to do your newborn baby shoot (mistake we made with our 1st baby, since it was a friend doing it for free - they had no newborn experience and did NOT know all very important tricks with shooting newborns and dealing with hormonal stressed out nervous wreck postpartum mommies)
- Experience & Equipment - Generally speaking, the less experience the cheaper they'll be, and the less techy equipment they'll have (not quite as spectacular a camera, maybe no lighting), but most often you get what you pay for. That's not to say you can't find a diamond in the rough, a truly talented hobbyist who will give you a good deal and produce spectacular photos.
StarPhoto BayRidge are a team of skilled photographers who specialize in Family and Event Photography. Memories and milestones are truly special and photographs can preserve treasured moments for the years to come. StarPhoto is the combined talents of Beto Ramos and Scott Olsen. Both are long time Bay Ridge residents with many years of photography experience.
Scott is an experienced digital shooter who happens to have a passion for old fashioned film photography. Scott shoots, and develops, everything from 35 millimeter to medium and large format as well as wet plate photography which has been around since 1851. “Wet Plate” is a special process that results in an image on a metal plate or glass. It's ready to see in minutes and after drying and varnishing it will last for centuries. Examples of his work with film and wet plate can be found on Instagram, and you can see some black and whites he shot of us on film here:
Which one(s) would you do in a huge frame or canvas?! HELP ME DECIDE, please!!!
I highly recommend StarPhoto Bay Ridge for your next family photo shoot or event, AND, get excited because I have a discount for you!!!
Get 25% off a 1 hour digital photography session with StarPhoto Bay Ridge, which includes at least 10 retouched images in high resolution format which can be downloaded from SmugMug. Regularly $200, you pay just $150. Just book by 10/31/2019 and mention this blog post!!