Disclaimer: This post was sponsored and provided by Vicky Simegiatos Dance Company.
We always want to broaden our children’s horizons and expose them to all of the great culture that New York City has to offer. Here are ten reasons why your family will love the Vicky Simegiatos Dance Company’s presentation of The Nutcracker (ticket information at bottom of post).
1. The ballet opens with a lavish Christmas party full of boys and girls (played by your Bay Ridge neighbors), complete with toys and gifts, mischief and sibling rivalry. And a mysterious magical guest.
2. Your children will recognize many of the melodies. Music from the beautiful Tchaikovsky score has permeated pop culture.
3. You can introduce your children to the ballet without paying Lincoln Center prices or stressing that they won’t be able to sit still for a full length performance. The Nutcracker ballet is fun, fast paced and exciting.
4. There’s an epic battle scene, in which mice, soldiers, the Mouse King and the Nutcracker fight it out to save the ballet’s heroine, Clara.
5. The Dance of the Snowflakes and the Waltz of the Flowers are among the most beautiful dances in all of ballet. The Dance of the Snowflakes is breathtaking, performed as snow swirls down on the dancers who make up the corps de ballet - all Bay Ridge students. Waltz of the Flowers is enchanting, full of dazzling pink costumes which capture the beauty of spring time. Your children will be mesmerized.
6. The role of the Sugar Plum Fairy will be danced by international ballet star Maria Kowroski, principal dancer from New York City Ballet. Your children will have the rare opportunity of seeing her perform in this intimate setting.
7. An afternoon or evening spent at the theater is the perfect way to take a break from all of the holiday preparations and festivities. You can just sit back and let the magic of the ballet sweep over you. The Historic St. George Theater is an ornate jewel, just intimate enough to give the audience a special experience with the performance. It’s located just a short drive from Bay Ridge.
8. Here’s what Alastair Macaulay, legendary dance critic of The New York Times, has said about our Nutcracker:
9. Ballet is not just for girls. Male pro athletes train in ballet to become more agile and to get more height and hang time to their jumps. Our boys are great dancers too! Your boys are going to want to watch them work.
10. It’s not unusual to see children leap to their feet during intermission, swept up by the magic, acting out the dances that they just saw. Who knows? Before the night is through, you just may find that your young son or daughter sees themselves as a budding ballet dancer too. You’ll leave the St. George Theatre singing the melodies, and they’ll stay with you throughout the Christmas season.
Did you see The Nutcracker when you were a kid? What were your favorite memories?
The Vicky Simegiatos Dance Company presents The Nutcracker at the Historic St. George Theater on December 22, 2019 at 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Tickets are going fast!
For further information, visit our website (includes a Groupon Deal), call 917.860.4025 or 718.612.9475, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or download our PDF flyer:
I'm a NYC metro area mom blogger living in NJ with my Japanese husband & our 3 kids (twins plus 1), focusing on fun and honest product and travel reviews, saving moms time finding the best for their families! Find what you need in the menu bar or search section above!