Despite having read all the books and gotten the down and dirty play by play from friends and family, I definitely ran across a few surprises during my pregnancy and after giving birth. Here's a fun list I and some mommy friends came up with - feel free to add your own nuggets!!
1) The linea nigra doesn’t go away for a LONG time (mine didn't show up til the 9th month, but now 3 months postpartum it's still there, but fading slowly) <**Update: June 25 - 6 months postpartum, it's almost completely gone, just the faintest of faintest lines remain>
2) Just when you think you’ve made it through without any stretch marks, they can arrive AFTER delivery – hoorah!
3) Things down under won’t look the same after a vaginal birth (i.e. formerly sealed parts are no longer so and will remain that way, WHAAAAAAAAA??? learned this at my 6 week postpartum checkup)
4) Washable nursing pads are a joke and last all of 30 minutes before you’re dripping through your shirt (if you’re an over-supplier as I am). **Tip - get the disposable ones, they are miraculous!!
5) Newborns have explosive poops that hilariously trigger their startle reflex!
6) Your milk will be out of control, shooting your little one all over the face, running all over yourself when you're drying off from your shower (during which they were doing their own bit of shower)
7) During labor and pushing, you really do feel like a bowling ball is coming out of your a$$. Afterwards, you will dread anything coming out of said orifice, and when it does, some say it's worse than childbirth!! **Tip, lots of water, fiber, & stool softeners, and for cleaning up - water spritzer & moist witch hazel pads (not toilet paper, ouch)
8) Pooping will not be your only dreaded bodily function for about a week after giving birth. Sneezing and coughing will put the fear of god in you for sure!
9) Babies have great timing for peeing and pooping the second you take off that diaper. Be prepared for yourself and surrounding walls and furniture to get covered in #1 and #2 a few times! **Tip, cover your boy's bits immediately after pulling the diaper back - you can use a peepee teepee, a washcloth, or my personal favorite, a wipe.
10) Your baby's soft spot will randomly pulsate, taking on a life of its own - FREAKY!
11) If breastfeeding, food cravings and hunger can be worse than while pregnant! Who'd have though!? Alas, you are burning a lot more calories, so it makes sense!
12) You might go an entire day(s) without changing your clothes or brushing your teeth, and you really won't care! haha!
13) Immediately after giving birth, you still look about 7 months pregnant. It gradually deflates over the first few weeks.
3/14/2013 02:45:53 pm
What?! You knew some of these from me...come on! Be fair. But a great, very funny list, nonetheless.
3/14/2013 03:17:02 pm
You were probably my best source of information and why this list is not much more extensive! #9 is the only one that wasn't 100% surprise, cuz I did know about having to cover the boys' wee-wees. Thankfully you prepared me well for the ring of fire during pushing, painful first couple of weeks of nursing, and puking during labor, to name a few!
3/14/2013 02:54:33 pm
Great list! Especially numbers 3 and 7!
3/14/2013 03:13:50 pm
Annie, yes!! My little one sometimes falls asleep with his eyes half open, or randomly pops them open mid-sleep. Very creepy and sweet at the same time ^_^
3/14/2013 04:18:08 pm
What does number three even mean?! What's unsealed but should be sealed!?!?! You've got me googling before and afters now trying to see what I should be worrying about!!! o_O
3/15/2013 02:49:55 am
It's no big deal, don't be freaked out! For me, things look different, not bad, just different. This one seems a bit extreme, but can give you an idea of certain changes that could happen: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Maternal--Child/Vaginal-appearance-changes-after-childbirth/show/167312?page=1
3/14/2013 10:22:51 pm
Some of these make me almost grateful I had to have a c-section!
3/15/2013 02:21:10 am
Hi! Stopping by from Mom Bloggers Club. Great blog!
3/15/2013 02:43:38 am
3/30/2013 04:55:18 pm
ALL ARE VERY VERY TRUE~~~especially #1, 2, and 7---does the Colace work? Is it safe for breastfeeding? Off to google, I go! Thanks for this post tho~~~
3/31/2013 10:47:13 am
Well, they gave me Colace at the hospital and I didn't even question it. Got hubby to pick up a bottle of the generic kind from the drug store as soon as we got home and continued taking them for a week. Then my sister mentioned maybe they were contributing to Kenzo's gas and explosive liquidy poops, so I googled and even though it seems the drug is safe I stopped taking them anyway and made sure to get enough water and fiber. His gas and explosive liquidy poops did not stop, just a newborn thing I guess!
Leave a Reply.
About Me ^_^
I'm a NYC metro area mom blogger living in NJ with my Japanese husband & our 3 kids (twins plus 1). This blog is chock full of product reviews, family travel guides, and giveaways galore! It's also home to Bay Ridge Families, and several guides focused on kid-friendly activities and guides to South Brooklyn, Hudson Valley, and New Jersey, as well as family-friendly destinations beyond the NYC area (check the menu bar!)